"Nul Points" is considered to be the most famous phenomenon of the Eurovision Song Contest. The term refers to an entry (or entries) that fails to earn a single point. It is often preceded by the words "the dreaded", as it is the one score that every country is determined to avoid getting.
To date, there have been 36 victims of "nul points" in the finals, with 2 entries even failing to get a single point in the semifinals and even 5 entries not getting a point on one half of the split vote system.
The most unfortunate victims are Norway and Austria, having each scored "nul points" 4 times.
As of 2016, it is deemed almost impossible to attain nul points due to the new voting system.
Victims of "Nul Points"
|1962||Belgium||Fud Leclerc||Ton nom||First victim due to being early in the running order, also the first time one of the founding seven countries gets the nul points.|
|Spain||Victor Balaguer||Llámame||First time a now Big Five country gains the nul points.|
|Austria||Eleonore Schwarz||Nur in der Wiener Luft|
|The Netherlands||De Spelbrekers||Katinka|
|1963||The Netherlands||Annie Palmen||Een speeldoos||First time a country gets nul points in consecutive years, and the first time a country gets served twice.|
|Norway||Anita Thallaug||Solhverv||First time Norway gets served the nul points|
|Finland||Laila Halme||Muistojeni laulu|
|Sweden||Monica Zetterlund||En gång i Stockholm||First time that Sweden was in last place, one of only two times ever.|
|1964||Germany||Nora Nova||Man gewöhnt sich so schnell an das Schöne||One of the longest Eurovision title names to exist.|
|Portugal||António Calvário||Oração||First time a debut entry got the nul points.|
|Yugoslavia||Sabahudin Kurt||Život je sklopio krug||Only last place of Yugoslavia.|
|Switzerland||Anita Traversi||I miei pensieri|
|1965||Spain||Conchita Bautista||¡Qué bueno, qué bueno!||First time a previous performer got the nul points.|
|Germany||Ulla Wiesner||Paradies, wo bist du?||The second time a country got the nul points twice.|
|Belgium||Lize Marke||Als het weer lente is|
|Finland||Viktor Klimenko||Aurinko laskee länteen|
|1966||Monaco||Téréza||Bien plus fort||Monaco's only brush with the nul points.|
|Italy||Domenico Modugno||Dio, come ti amo||First time Italy had last place and the second time when a previous performer placed last with nul points.|
|1967||Switzerland||Géraldine Gaulier||Quel cœur vas-tu briser?||Last time the nul points happened on the older voting system.|
|1970||Luxembourg||David Alexandre Winter||Je suis tombé du ciel||The only time Luxembourg got the nul points.|
|1978||Norway||Jahn Teigen||Mil etter mil||First time an entry gets nul points in the 12-point scoring system. Ironically, the song became a huge hit in Norway, dubbing Teigen the most famous "nul pointer" of all time.|
|1981||Norway||Finn Kalvik||Aldri i livet||3rd time Norway gets the nul points, also the first time under the new voting system when a country gets nul points twice.|
|1982||Finland||Kojo||Nuku pommiin||Third time in 3 years that a Nordic country gets served nul points.|
|1983||Spain||Remedios Amaya||¿Quién maneja mi barca?||First time in the new voting system where two countries shared the nul points.|
|Turkey||Çetin Alp & The Short Waves||Opera||First time Turkey gets the nul points.|
|1987||Turkey||Seyyal Taner & Locomotif||Şarkım Sevgi Üstüne||Second time in 4 years that Turkey gets hit with the nul points.|
|1988||Austria||Wilfried Scheutz||Lisa, Mona Lisa|
|1989||Iceland||Daníel Ágúst Haraldsson||Það sem enginn sér||First time Iceland gets handed the nul points|
|1991||Austria||Thomas Forstner||Venedig im Regen||Austria is served with the nul points for the third time. The artist finished in the top 5 only two years prior in Lausanne.|
|1994||Lithuania||Ovidijus Vyšniauskas||Lopšinė mylimai||Second time a debut country is served the nul points.|
|1997||Norway||Tor Endresen||San Francisco||Last time a Nordic country gets the nul points. Norway gets nul points for a record fourth time.|
|Portugal||Célia Lawson||Antes do adeus||Second time since 1983 that two countries share the nul points.|
|1998||Switzerland||Gunvor Guggisberg||Lass' ihn|
|2003||United Kingdom||Jemini||Cry Baby||First time the UK gets last and the first time with nul points as well. It was such a huge disappointment that Jemini eventually split up afterwards.|
|2015||Austria||The Makemakes||I Am Yours||
First time since 2003 that a country gets nul points in the final. Austria gets served for the fourth time, tying Norway's record.
|Germany||Ann Sophie||Black Smoke||Germany is served for the first time since 1965. It is also the first time since 1997 that two countries share the nul points.|
"Nul Points" in the Semi-Finals
|2004||Switzerland||Piero and the MusicStars||Celebrate||First nul points to happen in the semi finals|
|2009||Czech Republic||Gipsy.cz||Aven Romale||Second time nul points occurs in the semi-finals. The Czechs decide to take a leave of absence from the competition, returning in 2015.|
- France's 2012 entry Echo (You and I) had a score of 21 points in the final, it received "nul points" in the televote. All 21 points were given by the jury.
- Austria's 2015 entry also got "nul points" in the televote despite 40 points from the jury. However, Austria failed to score overall because in the voting system of 2015, each country ranked all the songs in the final rather than just their top 10 choices in the voting system of 2012.
- Czech Republic's 2016 entry I Stand received 41 points in the final, but received "nul points" in the televote. All 41 points were given by the jury.
- Malta's 2017 entry Breathlessly received 55 points in the semifinal, but received "nul points" in the televote. All 55 points were given by the jury.
- San Marino's 2017 entry Spirit of the Night received 1 point in the semifinal, but received "nul points" from the jury. Their only point was given by the German televote.
- Austria's 2017 entry Running on Air received 93 points in the final, but received "nul points" in the televote. All 93 points were given by the jury
- Spain's 2017 entry Do It For Your Lover received 5 points in the final, but received "nul points" from the jury. All 5 points were given by the Portuguese televote.
- Nul Points.net is a Eurovision news and archival site
- Nul Points was also the title of a 1993 documentary by the BBC about the contest.