This article reveals some details about upcoming information and/or things that could happen. Read at your own risk not to spoil anything!
The Eurovision Song Contest 2018 will be the 63rd of its kind and will be held in Lisbon, Portugal at the Altice Arena following Salvador Sobral's win in Kiev the previous year. The official dates for this contest announced by the EBU are as follows:
- Semifinal 1: 8 May 2018
- Semifinal 2: 10 May 2018
- Grand Final: 12 May 2018
43 countries will participate, Russia returning after a 1-year absence. This equals the record set in 2008 and 2011.
Sílvia Alberto, Filomena Cautela, Daniela Ruah and Catarina Furtado were officially revealed as the presenters on 8 January 2018. It is the first time since 2015 for an all-female presenting team, and the first time a quartet of presenters would share the stage together.
The theme of the 2018 contest is All Aboard! The central image is a seashell with 12 other marine images supporting the central theme - an invitation to the international community to come together to celebrate the event. It also symbolizes Portugal's connection and affinity with the sea.
The message behind the theme is expressed by the EBU like this:
"Europe is a collective of many, and this has also inspired RTP’s design team to introduce multiple logos for 2018, rather than a single image. The main logo, depicting a shell, will be used alongside 12 other versions. They are designed around the concept of the varying life in the oceans which depict the wonders of a floating world, such as plankton and a range of other organisms which are essential for balance in aquatic ecosystems. Through these multiple logos, the creative concept portrays key themes such as diversity, respect and tolerance."
Greek final falls apart
Greek broadcaster ERT had initially set up a 5-song national final set for 22 February 2018. However, two songs were disqualified for "not being Greek enough" while two more were thrown out due to the record labels behind them not being able to pay the required financial deposit. This fallout left Gianna Terzi as the only participant standing, leaving ERT no choice but to select her internally.
Alekseev had originally intended to participate in the Ukrainian national selection with his song "Forever", however he decided to drop out and take part in the Belarusian selection instead. It had been discovered that the Russian version of his song had been performed in public several times prior to 1 September 2017, which was against the rules of the selection set by BTRC. Following this, seven of the other ten finalists threatened to drop out if Alekseev was not disqualified, believing the show was rigged in his favor (one artist, Sofi Lapina, carried out that threat and withdrew - BTRC blocked several of her songs while ignoring Alekseev altogether). The broadcaster later ruled that Alekseev would remain in the competition, and he went on to win the national final.
The semi-final allocation draw was held on 29 January 2018 at the City Hall of Lisbon, and hosted by Sílvia Alberto and Filomena Cautela. The insignia handover ceremony took place before the draw begins, officially beginning the countdown to the contest.
The pots will be as follows, calculated by the EBU's voting providers Digame and based on voting patterns over the past 10 years:
|Pot 1||Pot 2||Pot 3||Pot 4||Pot 5||Pot 6||Finalists|
| Portugal (Host)|
- Due to scheduling conflicts, Italy was pre-allocated to broadcast and vote in semifinal 2 as per a request from RAI, which was approved by the Reference Group
|Waylon||2014 (with The Common Linnets)|
|Jessica Mauboy||2014 (Semi 2 interval act)|
|Cesár Sampson||2016, 2017 (backing for Poli Genova and Kristian Kostov)|
|SuRie||2015, 2017 (backing for Loïc Nottet and Blanche)|
|Alexander Rybak||2009 (winner)|
Semi Final One
(Until the final point totals are released, those in both semis who have qualified will have "Q" as their placement)
|01||Azerbaijan||Aisel||X My Heart||English||--|
|02||Iceland||Ari Ólafsson||Our Choice|
|04||Belgium||SENNEK||A Matter of Time||English||--|
|05||Czech Republic||Mikolas Josef||Lie to Me|
|06||Lithuania||Ieva Zasimauskaitė||When We're Old|
|09||Estonia||Elina Nechayeva||La Forza||Italian||The force|
|11||FYR Macedonia||Eye Cue||Lost and Found|
|13||Austria||Cesár Sampson||Nobody But You|
|14||Greece||Gianna Terzi||Oneiro Mou||Greek||My dream|
Semi Final Two
|01||Norway||Alexander Rybak||That's How You Write a Song||English||--|
|03||Serbia||Balkanika||Nova deca||Serbian||New kids|
|04||San Marino||Jessika ft. Jenifer||Who We Are||English||--|
|06||Russia||Yulia Samoilova||I Won't Break|
|07||Moldova||DoReDos||My Lucky Day|
|08||The Netherlands||Waylon||Outlaw In 'Em|
|09||Australia||Jessica Mauboy||We Got Love|
|10||Georgia||Iriao||Sheni Gulistvis||Georgian||For you|
|11||Poland||Gromee & Lukas||Light Me Up||English||--|
|13||Hungary||AWS||Viszlát Nyár||Hungarian||Goodbye summer|
|14||Latvia||Laura Rizzotto||Funny Girl||English||--|
|15||Sweden||Benjamin Ingrosso||Dance You Off|
|17||Slovenia||Lea Sirk||Hvala, ne!||Slovene||Thanks, but no|
|18||Ukraine||Melovin||Under The Ladder||English||--|
The Big Five participants will temporarily be listed here. They will draw their grand final allocation halves either during their post-second rehearsal press conferences or during the opening ceremony on 6 May 2018.
Until the final running order is completed after the conclusion of the second semifinal, they will either have "H1" (first half) or "H2" (second half) as their draw designation.
|Germany||Michael Schulte||You Let Me Walk Alone||English||--|
|Italy||Ermal & Fabrizio||Non mi avete fatto niente||Italian||You didn't do anything to me|
|Spain||Alfred & Amaia||Tu canción||Spanish||Your song|
All countries will vote. The final will take place on 12 May 2018. Portugal's place in the running order was decided during the Head of Delegations meetings on 12 March 2018.
|08||Portugal||Cláudia Pascoal||O jardim||Portuguese||The garden|
- Andorra - RTVA confirmed on 14 May 2017 the country would not return to the 2018 contest, citing financial issues. 
- Bosnia and Herzegovina BHRT confirmed on 18 September 2017 that Bosnia and Herzegovina will not return for 2018.
- Kazakhstan - The country had expressed their desire to debut in 2018. However, as their broadcaster (Khabar Agency) is an associate EBU member like Australia's SBS, they will require being invited by the EBU and/or RTP.
- Liechtenstein - 1FLTV confirmed on 1 September 2017 that Liechtenstein will not debut in 2018. They are hoping to debut in 2019.
- Luxembourg - RTL confirmed on 22 May 2017 that Luxembourg would not return for 2018.
- Monaco - TMC confirmed on 31 August 2017 that Monaco would not return for 2018.
- Slovakia - RTVS confirmed on 11 September 2017 that Slovakia would not return for 2018.
- Turkey - After numerous rumors from past artists including 2003 winner Sertab Erener and 2010 runner-up maNga, TRT confirmed on 7 August 2017 that Turkey will not return for 2018.
- It was confirmed by Michelle Visage on 28 August 2017 that she and Ross Matthews would return to do commentary for the United States at the 2018 contest on Logo TV.
- Hunan TV announced on 7 April 2018 that it would broadcast all three shows in China.
- OUTtv announced on 13 April 2018 that it would not broadcast the contest in Canada.